The Zoo Music Awards (ZooMA) are designed to thank and celebrate the talented musicians and show support to local music in our community. Our goal is to provide a platform for local artists to gain recognition and exposure in Missoula’s music scenes and, hopefully, beyond!
The ZooMA program has many components to it: It starts with band submissions followed by public voting (it’s important to us… that the public is invested in this in order for it to truly be a community event), then a showcase on February 16, 2013 and, finally, an awards ceremony – red-carpet style – at the Wilma on March 22, 2013.
The Voting Process: The polls will open to the public on January 10, 2013. The voter can vote on one artist/band per category. The public votes will determine the top five in each category who will then move on to the Showcase. Voting will close on February 10, 2013.
The Showcase: The Showcase is planned for February 16, 2013 and will feature 45 bands at nine venues, representing nine genres, all in one night. The Showcase again encourages community involvement in the voting process. After the showcase night, each genre will be narrowed down to three finalist. A panel of judges from each venue will then be tasked with choosing a winner in each of the nine category. The nine venues and categories are:
- Sunrise Saloon-Bluegrass and Country
- Sean Kelly’s-Singer Songwriter and Folk
- Dark Horse-Heavy Metal and Punk
- Palace-Psychedelic and Jam Band
- Monks-Funk, Soul, and Reggae
- Ferquis-Hip-Hop and Spoken Word
- Brooks and Browns-Jazz and Blues
- The Broadway-Electronic and DJ
- VFW-Indie Pop and Rock
The Awards Show: The Awards ceremony will be at the Wilma Theater on March 22, 2013. The top three artist and bands of each genre will be given free tickets to the award show. During the ceremony the winners will be announced. This must see event will feature local celebrity presenters, as well as live performances by national and local artists.
Prizes: The winner of EACH category will receive:
- Zoo Music Awards Trophy
- Recording Session
- Photography Session
- Personal Event Poster (To promote your future events)
- Braggin’ rights
How to enter the ZOO MUSIC AWARDS:
- Pick up to two music categories:
Bluegrass/Country, Singer/Songwriter/Folk, Jazz/Blues, Heavy Metal/Punk, Psychedelic/Jam Band, Indie/Pop/Rock, Funk/Soul/Reggae, Hip-Hop/Spoken Word, Electronic/DJ
- Submit a working MP3 (We can not accept any other format, any genre(s) you will be submitting in, artist bio, band photo (high res), link to website, Facebook, Soundcloud, etc.
- Submit at email@example.com
- Promote yourself! This is a public voting event and we encourage everyone to participate!